Keyboard Advice

Non DS-10 talk

Keyboard Advice

Postby Axfinger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:20 am

Hey all,

So I've been looking lately at getting an electronic keyboard on a budget. I've used a few in the past, my last was a Yamaha PSR 200 I believe, and I liked it just fine, but I had it on loan from my sister and have since returned it. I'm looking around on Amazon and criagslist and what not, and I'd be interested in hearing advice for a decent keyboard that's cheap (I'm looking at $200 and less). I mostly use keyboards as a composing tool, so I don't need to much. I prefer having a decent piano sound, decent organ, and the usual orchestral set of voices. I'm not gonna worry about getting weighted keys, a sustain pedal, pitch wheels or any of that because I don't have a lot of money to spend. I would prefer one with a USB, Standard Instrument cable, or even MIDI OUT. Any thoughts or experience?

Ax
Axfinger

Re: Keyboard Advice

Postby Geolm » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:55 pm

if you're looking to a master keyboard you can check this :

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1320
Geolm

Postby Axfinger » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:40 am

I appreciate the reply, but I'm not looking for a midi controller, I'm looking for a keyboard, and one with like 6 to 8 octaves.
Axfinger

Postby roblabs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:00 pm

I think any of the Yamaha PSR series keyboards will serve you well. Here's another decent one also from Yamaha
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YPT-230-Pr ... a+keyboard

Almost all of these types of Yamaha keyboards have General Midi, so you'll be able to connect them to a computer or transmit basic midi messages (note on,off, etc). I have had a Yamaha PSR275 (off hand, I believe thats the model number) for many years and it has never failed me, very useful for composing as you said and general music duties. I had paid 125$ish for it and it has held up very very well. For basic keyboards Yamaha really excels.
roblabs

Postby Axfinger » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:27 pm

Hey thanks roblabs. I really did enjoy having the Yamaha while I had it, certainly more than the clunky Casio we had as children. I searched for the (Yamaha) model I used to own but it seems it is no longer manufactured so I appreciate the link to that model you sent. With a bit of luck I'll be playing one soon.
Axfinger

Postby roblabs » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Axfinger,

Dont forget to check out ebay and craigslist, or your local pawnshops. Its a good means to finding discontinued gear. Good luck in your searches!
roblabs

Postby DS-10 Dominator » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 am

You could look into a cheap FM synth, like the DX100. It has microkorg size keys though...

DX9

maybe too hard to find them around 200 dollars. Perhaps there are even cheaper models.
DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Return to Chit-Chat